Rehabilitation is a method treatment designed to facilitate recovery after a serious injury, illness or surgery. It is aimed at enabling the patients to restore the physical, sensory, intellectual, psychological and social function.
The goal of rehabilitation program is to achieve fastest patient recovery. This program assists the patient to return to normal life through therapy or training.
Pre-operative rehabilitation phase prepares the patient physically and mentally for both the surgery and the post-operative program. Post-operative rehabilitation program offers faster healing.
Rehabilitation program is recommended for people who cannot resume to their normal activities following an injury or following a surgery. The rehabilitation team works on various physical activities and flexibility exercises that help to regain the strength and motion of the muscles in injured site.
The most common and immediate treatment modality that provides relief from pain is the RICE treatments which means the treatment comprised of rest, ice, compression, and elevation. The RICE treatment is used for acute injuries such as sprains, strains, bruises, and contusions. Crutches, splits, or wheelchairs are used as immobilizers to provide support and prevent movement of the injured joints. Medicines are used to relieve pain. Rehabilitation program include stretching and bending exercise, massage techniques, stability exercises, physiotherapy, heat therapy and much more.
Various techniques employed in rehabilitation program have significance of their own in improving the physical performance and restoring to normal activity.
- Stretching and bending exercises improve flexibility of the muscles at injured site
- Massage techniques relieves the tension of the muscles and improves the blood flow to the site of injury
- Stability exercises restores the functions and movements of the broken or injured joints
- Use of appropriate gears corrects biomechanical dysfunction for an instance, specially designed running shoes are recommended for sports individuals with foot injury. These shoes have a harder material inside of the sole which prevents the foot from rolling in.
Practicing several measures may help you obtain better results of rehabilitation program
- Gradually increase the time and intensity on exercises
- Exercise and walking regularly
- Choose correct footwear
- Do not work on empty stomach and drink plenty of water before workout
Knee Rehabilitation Protocols:
- ACL Reconstruction Guidelines
- PCL Reconstruction Guidelines
- Meniscectomy Guidelines
- Meniscus Repair Guidelines
- Patellofemoral Distal Realignment Guidelines
- Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy Guidelines
- Microfracture Guidelines